Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Sound Of Music



A wonderful musical starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, the Sound of Music is a masterpiece and one of the best movies that I have come across till date. The story of a postulant, Maria that is asked by the Reverend Mother to find her true calling falls in love with her employer, Captain Vountrapp. The story also involves the Captains seven children, - Liesel, Friedrik, Louisa, Brigitta, Curt, Martha and Gretal, whom Maria has to take care of. The movie is set during the years of the Second World War when Hitler finally gained power over Austria. The civic struggle that the people had to face at that time is very well portrayed in this movie.

I remember being shown this film in 4th Grade and from then on I was hooked. At that time, we were shown the movie as we were supposed to have the self-confidence to make our own decisions in life and I truly believe that this movie has helped shape me into the human being that I am today!

After seeing it a record 27 times, the dialogues, songs, actors have all grown on me. My best friend and I have the strongest connect because of our love for the film. We went to the extent of asking our Cinema professor to screen it in class. He willingly obliged and we went crazy, singing the songs loudly and ‘aww’ing softly at all the right moments.



Songs like, You are 16 going on 17, Do Re Me and Cuckoo are the most appealing part of the film. Also, the way Maria and Captain Vountrapp fall in love is unbelievable but something that every girl dreams of. Julie Andrews, an actor par excellence has truly shown why she was considered perfect not just for the movie but also the Broadway musical that it was adapted from. She is my only motivation for watching the movie so many times. Her dance with the Captain on the Austrian folk dance is so perfect that it still sends jitters down my spine. 

All in all, the most amazing movie ever made for me and so would definitely hit m  favourite movies of all times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment