Friday, September 24, 2010

The Shrek Series

An entire series of animated films, Shrek, which is a Dreamworks picture, brings so much onto the screen which very few have been able to do. They are epic by themselves and I personally love all 4 movies in the entire series. The movies come alive predominantly because of its four iconic characters: Shrek whose voice is given by Mike Myers, Donkey by Eddie Murphy, Fiona by Cameron Diaz and Puss in Boots by Antonio Banderas. I cannot believe that the series is over and infact am secretly hoping that they decide to make another one. It is the fourth highest grossing film series of all times behind Harry Potter, James Bond and Star Wars.


Shrek is where it all begins. It’s where they make you believe that beauty lies skin deep and no matter if you are reading fairy tales or living a chapter in real life, true love can exist and will prevail. The lovely part about it is that it is a light spoof on most of the fairy tale movies already made. It completely revolutionizes the meaning of happily ever after. The film left me wanting more, hoping that like every other sequel the next one doesn’t disappoint me.


Shrek 2 thankfully didn’t disappoint me in the least. It was made on the pretext that true love will stand tall no matter what comes in its way and you don’t need anything more than faith in you and your soul mate to get through any problem in the world. This film further reaffirmed my belief in true love and its power. I could see some real life experiences and real people playing their roles in real life which is why for me it was entertaining as well as reinforcement in true love.


Shrek the Third, for a lot of people lost its charm after the first two movies but what I thought was that the element of friendship is what kept it going. One part that I really love is when girl power prevails in the movie and comes to the rescue of the boys. The plot slightly deviated from the Shrek theme but aspects like Fiona’s pregnancy and Shrek having to deal with fatherhood is very cute, funny and realistically shown in the film. Seeing Shrek and his friends come together again kept the screen alive and enjoyable. Personally I loved the film and the addition of more fairy tale characters made it even more fun.


Shrek Forever After is when Shrek has finally reached a point where every man has to become a family man i.e. basically equal to no more wild side. A part taken very well from real life and translated into animation yet brought closer to us in 3D. This was the film that brought back the old flavour and had me laughing happily ever after. 


I think in all of them there is one thing that I loved the most and that is the friendship between Donkey and Shrek. So improbable but yet so strong.

All in all a brilliant movie series and something that would undoubtedly make it to my list of movies I love. Shrek is that one movie that I will show my kids when they’re growing up so that it stays with them the way it stayed with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment